Skip to main content

Anyone Else Remember Those Channels In The Music Section Of My Telewest Box That Would Play Music Videos But Also Have This Thing Where They'd Tell You How Strong Your Relationship Was

(note: i wrote this all in one go and then came back and added links/explanation to shit I couldn't remember cause i though it'd be funnier that way)

Okay, so you remember cable? It was like Twitter but with significantly less ability to melt your brain. Anyway, my dad had Telewest - remember Telewest? It was one of the cable providers that became Virgin Media in like 2006 along with ntl: and a third one that I shan't bother looking up. (edit: hey, turns out telewest was originally called croydon cable big up the ends. Also the third company in the merger was fucking virgin lmao I hate being a moron) Anyway, my dad had Telewest cable, and the EPG - you know, the guide thingy - was structured in the usual way. Like 100-200 was "General Entertainment" - your BBC1s, your Sky 1s, your DMAX+2s. The big boys. 200-300 was like "weird alternative entertainment" channels. Documentary channels like Nat Geo and Military History; Men and Motors; whatever the fuck The Community Channel was; those weird African vaguely religious channels hung out there (the Asian channels we bought one year to watch the IPL were in the early 800s)(edit: christ, star tv is fox and therefore disney? they really do be everywhere); and the proper unrated timeshift channels like LIVINGtv+24, which I swear to god was a thing. Remember LIVINGtv? It was like Channel Five except less upmarket and poncey (edit: lmao turns out the +24 timeshift was actually Channel 5, I promise I made the joke before I looked that up). Real car crash television like "Jade Goody: The Cancer Years", "Kerry Katona Attempts To Do Her Weekly Shop At Iceland Without Having A Breakdown" (edit: turns out this was THREE (3) separate shows on MTV, as was this mess), and this show where a gay scouse bloke bullied fat people. I honestly think it might've just been called Fat Families! (edit: this only had six episodes? I watched this all the time! wtf!!!!!)
god, it's been a while since i've posted, sorry


Anyway, 300-400 was the music channel section. Remember music channels? They were like YouTube only you couldn't do anything about them playing Kings of Leon all day. I mentioned them in the FIFA Post but they essentially ran on a spectrum from "all music videos", through "music videos but with continuity like a VJ (video jockey lmao) in a studio or a voiceover", through"a combination of music videos and regular programming", up to "just regular programs", i.e. MTV. They moved it to the General Entertainment zone by the time I was a teenager (they also put TLC there from the documentary section) but at this point, in the early 2000s, the channel was already dominated by shit like Teen Mom (edit: whoops that was way later. they didn't get on the lisa scott-lee kerry katona hype til 2007.) . Anyway, this was 2003 or so, so a lot of the ads on these music channels, from TMF, to Scuzz, to Channel U, revolved around ringtones. Remember ringtones? They were like noises your phone made in exams when you forgot to put it on silent. Anyway, they were big business back then, and one of the biggest companies on the scene was Jamster. Remember Jamster? They invented Crazy Frog! It wasn't a song originally! It was literally just a frog making motorbike noises! (edit: HIS DICK WAS VISIBLE FROM THE BEGINNING WHY WAS EVERYONE FINE WITH THIS) People paid serious money for these! Anyway, along with Crazy Frog, but before they started selling the work of emo goddess Anna Blue, they had this love calculator thing. You texted them your name, your (potential) partner's name, and - for a small fee, of course - they would let you know the percentage chance of your relationship working out. Here's a helpful video that shows what I mean.

What would happen, then, is this love calculator would be displayed during the music videos. You'd be vibing to some 2004 banger and all around you it'd be like "Taylor and Joe - 78% ❤❤❤" or "David and Amber - 13% 😭👎🏾" and such. They'd also entice you into joining the 'fun'. Your screen ended up looking something like this:
"you're beautiful, I just want you to know, the phone says we have an 86% chance of staying together (oh oh)"
...and that's all she wrote! That's what was going on with the weird love calculator displays on cable music channels in the early 2000s! Click here to read about some more nostalgic TV channels, or browse my Anyone Else Remember tag to read more rambling about shit I remember!

I promise I'll do something smart soon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding The New Narcissism by Understanding Kitchen Nightmares

"He will live a long life, as long as he never knows himself" "Don't blow smoke up my arse, Tiresias, he's fucking ROTTEN!" I Something about the cancel culture debate/debacle rubs me the wrong way. I'm not nearly as passionate about this as certain other members of the blogosphere , but it seems emphatically wrong. How do you square being a huge fan of cancel culture with acknowledging the psychological trauma it causes? It must be a really effective tactic if you're willing to risk breaking people's brains, right? ...oh. So not only is this shit horrible, it doesn't work? In the words of a very unwise man, "What the fuck are we doing here?" I think I know what the gotcha is SUPPOSED to be here. Maza has, purposefully or not, laid out the compassionate classical-liberal-type argument against cancel culture - it ruins people's lives. Lubchansky is saying "no, it doesn't ruin people's lives, becaus

On The Brand New Heavies

I used to argue with a friend about genre a lot in that music-focused book-club-style thing I mention from time to time. He'd be like "insistence upon genre as a system is a needlessly reductive way of looking at art that boxes in all those who subscribe to it", and I'd be all like "genre is a necessary and useful method of delineating between stylistic approaches and collecting like-minded people together", and he'd be all like "why are you being so fucking closed-minded, you stupid cunt, I hate you so much", and I'd be like "fam I will literally end your shit right now, I've killed before and I will kill again", and then my lawyer says I can't continue this run-on sentence, but, as is probably clear, we were arguing at cross purposes. He was looking at this from the perspective of an artist, whereas I was looking at it from the perspective of a consumer. The utility of a genre descriptor for a music fan is one of legibi

Anyone Else Remember Atheism Plus?

I think I said in an earlier post that Gamergate was when everything fell apart. I was wrong. It was Atheism+. I'll be honest, this article is only tangentially about Atheism+, because I can't really begin to bring myself to read up on Internet drama from 6-7 years ago, let alone make you lot read it, but does anyone else even remember this shit? Or is it just me? I Let's backtrack a second. I'm not particularly religious. I make the odd reference to the Bible from time to time, and I say masha'allah and oxala too (at the end of the HSBC post , for example), but that's not because of strongly held beliefs - it's just the culture I was raised in. I think Quakers are pretty cool (they seem like the least problematic sect of Christianity at least, and we all love oats, sweets , and not going to war), and Laughing Stock is definitely the greatest album of all time; I suppose all this makes me culturally Christian, but you still won't catch me in c